Sunday, April 10, 2011

One Perspective

I find myself very disheartened today. All the talk of eviscerating all the social safety nets so that the rich can just keep getting richer makes me want to weep. Part of the reason for my angst is that I'm one of those shameful middle-class American's who, due to circumstances beyond my control, hasn't managed to save enough of my income for retirement. I guess I always figured that I would get a pension (as my father did) or if not that, social security and medicare would help to keep me alive.

Yes, I fear poverty, homelessness, uncared for illness...who doesn't? I've played by the rules. Worked since I was 16 years old, payed my bills, tried to get ahead. I own a home (well, me and the bank), but I'm one job-loss away from homelessness. How about you?

I had a little argument with a conservative friend the other day. He said if he lost his current job, why, he would just fall back on all his many other skills. What if you aren't blessed with all these so-called skills? Or the confidence, or the personality? You're just a regular person who works hard, tries to save when you can.

What if your just a regular working stiff?

No comments:

Post a Comment